Sunday, December 25, 2011
Christmas 2011 bullet train
- It was after 2:00 am before Carmi or I got in bed this morning.
- Both of us were up by 6:30.
- We could see a nap in our future.
- The kids were up by 7:15.
- Gifts were opened by 8:15.
- We were at church for the day’s one service at 10:00.
- I sang “Sweet Little Jesus Boy”.
- My family came over to the house for brunch following the service.
- Carmi and I napped. But not before our guests left.
- The kids watched Mr. Popper’s Penguins and Kung Fu Panda 2.
- We at Chinese for dinner.
- This was one night I’m glad the Chinese don’t really celebrate Christmas.
- I just wasn’t in the mood for Waffle House.
- Carmi’s big gift this year (which is actually kinda small) was a Kindle Fire.
- I may never see my wife again.
Friday, December 02, 2011
Bullet train 12.2.11
- At the breakfast table this morning, Eliana said, “I wish we had a Krispy Kreme in our backyard with a never-ending supply of donuts!”
- A couple of Jehovah Witness ladies came knocking today.
- Unfortunately I was only in my underpants after a nice, hot shower.
- Maybe I should have answered the door.
- Picked up Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides today at Wal-Mart.
- Well, I didn’t just pick it up. I actually bought it.
- Eliana, in one of her really crappy moods after school, had no desire to watch whatever it was that Karys was watching on TV.
- To which I responded in a somewhat loud voice, “Well… do something else!”
- To which Eliana responded, “There’s NOTHING to do!”
- Which gives me the green light to throw all that crap away that’s cluttering her room since she has no plans to play with it.
- We watched Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides tonight for Family Movie Night.
- I still like the first movie the best.
Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Bullet train 11.30.11
- Our church’s youth ministry went to work at Operation Christmas Child tonight.
- Zane didn’t get to go because he had too much homework.
- I took the kiddos to McDonalds for dinner.
- The ketchup packets had a gooey, sticky, caramel-like substance on the outside.
- Eliana licked one of the packets.
- Don’t tell Carmi. Oh, wait…
- Karys cried a little at bedtime because she was missing a buddy that moved away.
- I laid down with her for a few minutes.
- Before dozing off, she said I had a big honkin’ nose.
- Like mommy.
- Karys said that. I didn’t.
- I forgave her because she was hurting.
Thursday, November 17, 2011
bullet train 11.17.11
- After getting the kids up this morning, I rushed over to Wal-Mart for milk and pancake syrup.
- There’s not a lot of people at Wal-Mart at 6:00 am.
- The ones that WERE there were a little scary looking.
- Carmi took Karys for a wellness checkup this afternoon.
- I still had to go by Karys’ school to get the Before and After School Program site director’s signature on a form.
- The director knew it was the 17th because, “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 opens at 11:59 pm!”
- And I should care?
- When Carmi and Karys came home, Karys sashayed in with a red cup of hot chocolate from McDonalds.
- She flaunted her prize for behaving so well and taunted me with it.
- That’s ok, little missy. I plan to sit on my lazy tushy and enjoy a red cup of coffee from McDonalds tomorrow morning while y’all are in school!
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Bullet train 11.16.11
- The taste of souring milk will really get you going in the morning.
- Karys went back to school after staying home yesterday with a fever of 101.
- We had a tornado warning tonight.
- I thought our Wii was toast after a particularly bright flash of light and a huge crack of thunder but it survived.
- Zane and our Youth Ministry went to a nursing home tonight to play bingo with the residents.
- Eliana asked, “Did they look really weird?”
- She’s not always tactful.
- Zane said, “No. They just looked really old.”
- Karys learned to spell her name using American Sign Language.
- After tomorrow, I’m off work for 10 days!
Friday, August 26, 2011
Bullet train 8.26.11
- The good news is that today was Friday.
- The bad news is that I still had to get up at 5:30 to get the kids ready for school.
- The house was strangely quiet today.
- I almost went to Starbucks for the company.
- Gas went up. Thanks Irene.
- Last I checked, there were no oil refineries off the coast of North or South Carolina.
- I discovered that our current 2-year agreement with Verizon Wireless has expired.
- Shopping for new phones or phone plans stinks just like shopping for a car.
- Karys asked this afternoon why it took me so long to get her.
- It couldn’t have anything to do with the GAZILLION cars ahead of me filled with parents picking up THEIR kids.
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Bullet train 6.21.11
- Karys introduced me to her new friend when I picked her up at camp this afternoon.
- Then she asked if they could have a playdate.
- She works fast.
- I registered all 3 kiddos for swimming lessons this summer.
- I didn’t check our calendar first or I would have seen that Eliana and Karys have choir camp the second week of swimming lessons.
- We have not paid for choir camp yet so the swimming lessons win out.
- Eliana asked me tonight how wigs are made.
- Could I have another question?
- We had been talking about Locks of Love.
- Then Eliana surmised that wigs are just caps with hair.
Friday, June 03, 2011
Bullet train 6.3.11
- Zane had to turn in his school-issued laptop today.
- In fact, he came home with no backpack or books.
- I offered to give him some homework.
- Today was National Donut Day.
- Who knew?
- Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts were giving away free donuts.
- I learned tonight that there is a dance called “The Dougie”.
- Michelle Obama did “The Dougie”.
- Karys asked me at bedtime if she could name her husband “Doug”.
- At least she doesn’t want to name him “Dougie”.
Thursday, June 02, 2011
Bullet train 6.2.11
- Carmi took the male cat in our household to a “clinic” this morning.
- He was emasculated by a professional.
- If he peed on one more thing in this house, I was going to perform the procedure myself.
- I registered for a 5K (3.1 mile) race on Friday, June 10th.
- It’s a night race that starts at 9:00 pm.
- That’s also the last day of school for the kiddos.
- They might as well not even go because they’ll get out early at 11:00 am.
- Carmi sewed the patches on Eliana’s official white Taekwondo jacket.
- Eliana must wear her official uniform to testing on Saturday morning.
- Ab workouts. How I
hatestrongly dislike thee. Let me count the ways.
Sunday, May 29, 2011
Bullet train 5.29.11
- We sang a hymn in church this morning that I’ve never sung before but yet it sounded very familiar.
- I realized it was the hymn being sung during a Sunday service in the movie Titanic.
- It’s called “Eternal Father, Strong to Save”.
- I was watching Fox News after lunch. Zane walked into the living room and said, “Ahhh… Fox News. We report. You decide.”
- Eliana is asking what we’re doing tomorrow.
- I’m thinking a whole bunch of nothing.
- Actually I need to work on a leaky toilet.
- On the way home from dinner tonight, Zane and Eliana debated who was better - Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan.
- Mocha Mudslide is giving Mint Chocolate Chip a run for the money.
- Cheap Trick rocked it in Daddy Day Care.
Saturday, May 28, 2011
Bullet train 5.28.11
- Karys crawled in bed with me this morning and said I needed to shave my arms so I wouldn’t look like a werewolf.
- I’m totally amazed that gas didn’t go up in our neck of the woods for the holiday weekend.
- Zane and Eliana and I broke out Super Mario Brothers for the wii to try it out on the new flat screen TV.
- The larger display didn’t help me at all.
- We went to see Kung Fu Panda 2 this afternoon.
- I was a little concerned about how the movie was going to handle the “adoption” theme.
- I was pleased with how the movie handled the “adoption” theme.
- Someone relegated one of my favorite CDs of all time - Escape by Journey - to the $5 bin at Wal-Mart.
- Karys picked her nose and took pictures of the boogers with her Nintendo DSi.
Friday, May 27, 2011
Bullet train 5.27.11
- Zane retook his reading EOG (End Of Grade test) this morning that he didn’t pass last week.
- He thinks he did better this time around.
- I only have 1 more Friday to enjoy my White Chocolate Mocha from Starbucks and a leisurely stroll around Target.
- The kids are out of school for the summer just 2 weeks from today.
- I try to discourage our children from saying, “I hate…”
- So I apologize in advance for saying…
- I hate working on toilets.
- Karys told a family friend today, “The cloud is crying”.
- We had family movie night and watched The Sorcerer’s Apprentice on Netflix.
- Thinking about taking the kids to see Kung Fu Panda 2 in the theater tomorrow.
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Bullet train 5.18.11
- Eliana and Karys love this song.
- Carmi hates it.
- It’s stuck in my head.
- Be careful or it’ll get stuck in your head too.
- Your welcome.
- I’m thinking about doing a talk show-like video series with Karys. Stay tuned.
- I love it when I’m wrestling with Eliana and she wants to be tough like a boy but still screams like a girl.
- I was trying to buck Eliana off my back like a bull when Karys walked up and said, “Eww! I see Dad’s butt crack!”
- Then she wanted on my back too.
- I didn’t get to run tonight but I definitely got some exercise.
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Bullet train 5.17.11
- 1. Me: Zane, how were your tests today? Zane: Hard.
- Me: Eliana, how were your tests today? Eliana: Good.
- I wish our kids didn’t talk so much.
- I was watching the video for “Uprising” by Muse.
- Karys came in and said I needed to sing that song in church.
- Umm… no.
- Eliana received a message from school tonight about the summer laptop deployment for rising 4th-graders.
- She was excited.
- Seems strange putting the kids to bed when there’s still some light outside.
- My goodness, what a sweetheart. Most of the time.
Monday, May 16, 2011
Bullet train 5.16.11
- A documentary presented by the History Channel called “WWII in HD” is now available for instant streaming on Netflix.
- There are 10 43-minute episodes in pristinely-restored color footage.
- I know what I’ll be doing for the next 10 nights.
- We heart Netflix.
- After Taekwondo tonight, Eliana’s instructor said she knew everything she needed to know to test for her yellow belt on June 4th.
- Our local Chick-Fil-A gave 10% of their proceeds between 5 and 8 this evening to our church’s youth ministry.
- Guess where we ate dinner.
- Have you tried Chick-Fil-A’s banana pudding milkshake?
- Oh. My. Gosh.
- Prayers are appreciated as Zane and Eliana begin their EOGs (End Of Grade testing) tomorrow.